Thursday, March 15, 2012

" Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God "

On my daily walk to the rickshaw stand to go on, I saw a small child on her grandmother’s lap.  She was bleeding from her left cheek.  They were both weak, skinny and looked under-nourished. I think they both had a skin disease as there is no place for them to assess a shower.  The grandmother has blind in one eye as it was missing. 
I gave them 10 Rs. and ran for 10 minutes to reach the closest pharmacy.  I asked from ointment and paid 50 Rs.  I ran back to the wounded child and her grandmother.  I took some tissue paper from my bag and wet it with my water bottle.  I gave it to her grandmother so she could clean her wound. 
Part of me wanted to do it myself so that perhaps my touch could transmit the message that “You are loved. Stay strong. Do not lose hope.” However, as I was not wearing gloves I had to be cautious and not deal with blood.  As her grandmother cleaned her face, I opened the tube of ointment I purchased and put it on her trembling cheek.  Her eyes spelled vulnerability.  My eyes watered as the grandmother bowed to me demonstrating her gratitude.  She then asked for food but I did not have enough money on me.
I feel some joy as I fulfilled my moral and social obligation to love my neighbor.  However, I still feel helpless because there is so much sorrow in the world that I cannot put an end to.  I wish I could have done more for them.
Overall, I hope I did the right thing.  I pray that her grandmother keeps the ointment safe and continues to reapply it.  I hope that they stay safe throughout the night.  Otherwise, I guess I spent $1 on good karma.
With that said, Father God give me the strength to deal with the suffering I witness each day and give me the wisdom to know what to d in any given situation.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment