Monday, March 5, 2012

Beggar Child

In India, there are children who are put out in the street to beg by cruel individuals, but they do not reap any of the profit.  These helpless children go days without food or shelter and beg for hours to then have to give their earnings to an avarice “pimp.”  Due to this phenomenon, I do not give them money, but I always get a horrible pain in my stomach because I wish I could help them.
On my walk home, an adorable little girl tugged on my shirt.  She had no shoes, had torn clothes and looked like she had not eaten for days.  I looked into her eyes and was filled with sorrow. Fortunately, I had bought some bread to accompany my peanut-butter.  She points to the bag and I smile.  For the first time I could do something to help.  I opened the bag and gave her a slice.  Seconds later, I was surrounded by 5 other children and gave them each a slice.
I got on my rickshaw to go home and began to cry.  They were good tears because I felt great helping them and not ignoring them like others do.  But I also felt consumed with sorrow because I wish I could do more.  Consequently, I promise to take 15 minutes out of my day, every day, to feed and interact with a beggar child.  I want to buy a notebook or coloring book to give them because everyone needs HOPE and a kind soul that will treat them humanely.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when this happened and I've been waiting for you to write a blog about this--I'm so glad to finally read it!
    I love this blog because these moments are what make you supergirl. I'm sure that whenever other people--both tourists and Indians alike, see these beggar children, they either consciously ignore them or simply don't give them a second thought. Only you would take the time to see them as they are: innocent children caught in a struggle, and give them nourishment for both their body and soul. I'm sure they appreciate that someone out there sees them as a child first and a beggar second, as this is probly not how they are seen usually.
    Great post!!! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete