Monday, February 27, 2012

GOA!!!! Sand between my Toes!!!

Goa was amazing. I am such a water-baby.  I love to swim.  I never got out of the water.  It felt amazing to be one with the sea.  The water was the warmest I ever felt. 
We took a sleeper bus there.  Imagine bunk beds on each side of the bus, where the seats would be, with a small aisle in between.  Two people sleep in each bed – it was really tight, but a great experience because it was my first time in a sleeper bus.
However, I had bizarre experience.  While I was swimming the lifeguard asked me to get out of the water.  I assumed the logic behind it was because the waves were getting stronger or some other safety reason.  Everyone else, including myself, got out of the water. 
Turns out the lifeguard was only talking to me because he thought I was Indian and there is a time period in everyday where Indians are not allowed in the ocean.  I was furious.  This is their country and they are not allowed in the water for some time in order to please foreigners.  I could not believe it.  Money talks – those with money always get what they want.  Foreigners want a peaceful beach without any reminder of their privilege or disturbance from locals and they got what they wished.
Nevertheless, I will still go back and recommend for everyone else to go because it was beautiful.  The water was amazing and the sand between my toes was fantastic.  However, when you do travel to a sandy destination try to make nice with the locals because after all – it’s their country.  Also, I want to do some research on this because this is an injustice.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in Piazza di Spagna, in Rome, I watched (along with others) how many locals came to drink water from the fountain there. The people beside me said to each other "Oh my goodness, how disgusting, people just drink water from anywhere," while the whole time, I was thinking "Oh my goodness, how wonderful, people can drink water from anywhere." We can be in the exact same place, looking at the exact same thing, but see that thing in a completely different way. You can go around the world, and go to all the beautiful places, but never be happy, because happiness is something that you bring inside of you, it is not where you are or what you are looking at, but it is how you are and how you look at. Cheap Flights to Goa | Flights to Goa

    ReplyDelete