Monday, February 6, 2012

The Face of Poverty

Once you’ve been to a developing country your eyes and mind go on overload – or at least mine does.  I know poverty is a complex phenomenon that cannot be fully understood through generalization.  However, in all developing countries, everyone is on the hustle; struggling to survive.  It is such a humbling experience because as a “survivor” and as a person who has endured a great deal of hardship to arrive where I am now – the people I interact with here truly embody perseverance.  They are such warriors of life as so many obstacles are in their way and they still smile.  Their courage and positive outlook on life is inspiring.  I am so glad to be here.
Some patterns I have noticed about how poverty looks like are:
  1. Crowded cities full of merchants trying to sell tourists their goods
  2. Trash everywhere
  3. Lots of dust/dirt
  4. Homes and stores with tin roofs
  5. Massive disparity between the rich and poor
  6. Tremendous presence of corporations push their produces (ie: coca cola)
  7. Random overly fancy resorts and hotels that only foreigners can afford
  8. Poorly developed education system
  9. Poor sanitation
  10. Little to no access to medical facilities
  11. But most importantly, people struggling with an endless supply of determination, courage and hope for the future.
For instance, we went to a temple today and as we waited to board the bus a family came up to me in an attempt to sell me some jewelry.  I did not have any money on me and I felt so guilty because I could not help them.  I was instantly filled with sorrow – I did not even want to look at them but one of the girls who spoke English began to talk to me.  She was carrying an adorable baby girl who instantly took a liking to me.  She could not keep her eyes off of me and she held my finger with her tiny but firm grip.
Their kindness, friendly demeanor, and smiles were extremely welcoming.  I am so excited to be able to intern here and be able to give back to India because I feel she has already given such much to me.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome.

    Such a deep, thoughtful, and introspective post.

    You know, I agree with all of the features of poverty you point out. Some, I've never seen--like tin roofs. Some I've seen during my travels abroad--the enthusiasm of merchants to sell their products to tourists. Sadly, some I've seen right here at home--the pervasiveness of major corporations like Newport and Coca-Cola and their unflinching efforts to push their unhealthy products on everyone--from children to the poor, at any cost.

    Loving the posts.

    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insightful.
    I'm so glad (and completely unsurprised) that these travels are more than a few sight-seeing trips; it's a spiritual journey for you as well. It's so easy to relate poverty and despair, but it takes a lot to not let it get the best of you and rather have it compel you to strive for more - like that young girl, with a heart as big as they come, I'm sure. This post was very enlightening.
    I agree, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete