Thursday, February 16, 2012

Maids

Having a maid feels really weird because I am not used to having someone clean up after me.  Especially because I came to India to learn about the culture, interact with locals, and live a simpler live.  However, my lifestyle here is nicer than it is back home.  For instance, my home-stay’s house is HUGE!!!!! It is way nicer than any home I have lived in before.  The bedroom I share with my roommates has its own balcony and bathroom. 
Also, in America, most maids are Latinas because it is unskilled but cumbersome work that no one else wants to do.  Often times they are not even acknowledged.  As a Latina, it was uncomfortable watching her mop the floor and clean the bathroom. I wish I could have told her to stop but if she did not do it she could get fired. 
On the bright side, my host family treats her well and do not treat her as an inferior human being.  I just wish I could speak Marati so I could communicate with her.  I hope that as time progresses I can interact with her more because she is so sweet and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. tell people about the bells she let you wear! it's a funny story that is totally you

    ReplyDelete