Thursday, February 23, 2012

“You have such a warm friendly face and smile”

Students from the Sociology Club held a poster exhibit with the theme of Gandhi.  The thesis of their presentation is that Gandhi’s philosophy is still relevant today.  The major themes the posters were:
  1. How the education system is too expensive for everyone to attend them.  Also, that education needs to shift as learning does not only take place in a classroom.
  2. The health system is becoming less personal and western; therefore there is over prescription of medicine, which simply addresses the symptoms and does not provide a cure.  Also, the use of medicinal herbs is decreasing, because individuals are using pills to fix their problems without thinking about the side-effects.  Traditional medicine focuses on finding inner peace and balance, which I think is phenomenal because I truly believe in “mind over matter.”  Nevertheless, I think western medicine is great but it has its drawbacks as well.
  3. Recycling and repurposing objects to build infrastructure.
  4. The need for organic farming for the betterment of health and the environment.
  5. CORPORATE GREED – which is sort of what I am writing my thesis on – we had a great discussion about OCCUPY!!!!
They also showed us a 5 minute movie clip, which raised awareness about how corporate greed leads to the exploitation of individuals and to the degradation of natural resources. 
It was amazing.  I enjoyed having a though provoking conversation with Indian students.  It was phenomenal to hear their perspectives.  They were also very sweet.  I got all their numbers and look forward to hanging out with them soon when I am not swamped with school work. 
Also, one of the girls, came up to me after the presentation and told me “You have such a warm friendly face and smile.”  This made my day.  I LOVE INDIA!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment